If you’re like me, then you just can’t enough of Target! I go in there for two items and come out with an entire shopping cart of stuff I didn’t even know I needed 🙂 To help you maximize your savings at Target, we spent many hours reading and studying the Target Coupon Policy to make it easy for anyone to understand. A great place to start saving (after reading this post), is to download the Target Cartwheel App to your mobile device and check Target’s Weekly Ad. Before you tackle couponing at Target, make sure you review our Highlights of the Target Coupon Policy below to ensure bigger savings and a smoother checkout. Get more bang for your buck every time you shop at Target with this helpful guide and be sure to check out our list of Target Deals for great deals that meet these guidelines!
How to get the most savings at Target while adhering to the Target Coupon Policy!
- This tip is a MUST because unfortunately some cashiers are up to speed on couponing and some are not, so having the Target Coupon Policy on hand and the Target Price Match Guarantee will make things go smoothly. If the cashier disagrees or is unsure, just politely ask for the Target Manager and they will be glad to assist. Print and carry the official Target Coupon Policy when you shop at Target. You may not know this but there is a clause in the Target Coupon Policy that says that they “have the right to refuse, or limit the use of any coupon and/or the subsequent return for any reason…” Basically, this means that if you are “disruptive” or a nuisance they don’t have to accept your coupons. While I’m sure they rarely if ever enact this rule, we HIGHLY recommend being patient and kind to your cashier as they apply your coupons to ensure that this clause does not get invoked on you. Better to be patient and wait to get your savings than not be allowed to get them at all!
- When shopping at Target, you can combine one manufacturer coupon (paper or Cartwheel digital), one Target coupon (paper or digital), and one Cartwheel offer per item. There is also a limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon). You must present ALL coupons and Cartwheel offers to the cashier during checkout and they must have a scannable barcode. As with many other stores, they also do not accept expired coupons and you cannot apply them to previous purchases.
- Another important thing to note is that Target “does not give cash back or apply any overages to the remaining items in the transaction if the value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.” This means that if your coupon is $3.00 off and the item is only $2.00, you will not get $1.00 back. They adjust the coupon value to be no more than the value of the item. You can still use that coupon to get the item for Free, but it won’t be a Moneymaker anymore. The best ways to score Moneymakers at Target are by using after-purchase rebates (Ibotta, Checkout51, etc.) or taking advantage of deals that offer Target Gift Cards after meeting a certain purchase threshold.
- If you use a Target coupon, it will actually reduce the “taxable amount of the items to which they apply” as opposed to a manufacturer coupon where the “sales tax is calculated by using the full value of an item prior to applying the coupon.” This is a really cool feature because that means that you get more bang for your buck when using Target coupons. In addition to reducing the price of the item, it will also reduce your sales tax saving you extra money! There is a catch-22 though… When returning items, “Target coupons reduce the refundable amount and coupon value will not be given back upon return of the merchandise.” As long as you don’t plan on returning an item, Target coupons will save you more money than manufacturer coupons.
- When stacking coupons together to save money, keep in mind that Target does not “give cash back or apply any overages to the remaining items in the transaction if the value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.” Similar to the previous tip, this means that if you are buying two items valued at $2.00/each and have one coupon for $3.00 off one item, your total will be $2.00. This occurs because they do not allow any extra money leftover from a coupon to apply to any other items in your transaction. Keep this helpful hint in mind when stacking coupons to create deals at Target.
- Manufacturer coupons must be printed or found in the Target Cartwheel mobile app to be accepted at Target. They also do not “accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for products not carried in our stores.” Even though this may be a no-brainer for some people, it’s always a helpful reminder.
- Target does “not accept internet coupons for free items with no purchase requirements.” You can still use BOGO Free coupons because you are purchasing 1 item and getting the 2nd free. You are also able to use coupons to reduce the price of an item making it FREE. What you cannot do is get an item completely FREE because the coupon says you get it for Free, unless it is a Target coupon.
- BOGO coupons can’t be combined but you can stack them with a Manufacturer Coupon. For example, you can’t use two BOGO coupons on two items and get both for free. Unless otherwise stated on the coupon, the use of one BOGO coupon requires that two of the valid items are presented at checkout, of which one item will be charged to you and the second item will be discounted by its full retail price. If a Target BOGO coupon is used, one additional manufacturer coupon may be used on the first item. If a manufacturer BOGO coupon is used, one additional Target coupon may be used on the first item. You MAY NOT use the same type of BOGO Free coupon and manufacturer coupon though. As stated above, one coupon must be a Manufacturer Coupon and the other must be a Target Coupon when stacking a BOGO Free Coupon and an additional Manufacturer Coupon.
- Manufacturer Coupons: Target will accept your manufacturer coupon as long as printed limitations and requirements are met. Manufacturer coupons found on the Internet and printed are accepted in addition to Manufacturer coupons found in the Target Cartwheel mobile app.
Pro Tip: If the coupon states “Manufacturer Coupon” it’s redeemable anywhere, even if the coupon states, “Redeemable at Walmart, CVS, etc.” (or any other retailer).
- Category/Department or Storewide Coupons: If you’re redeeming more than one category/department or storewide coupon, you must meet purchase requirements for each coupon individually. The percent-off coupon will apply to all qualifying items in the transaction. No other same category/department or storewide coupon will apply. Target item-level coupons can be used while using a category/storewide coupon (e.g. $1 off Target coupon for body wash AND a $5 off $15 Target Personal Care purchase). The threshold for the category coupon is based on the retail of the qualified items prior to manufacturer item-level and Target item-level coupons.
- Target.com Coupons: If a coupon is accepted on Target.com, it will include an alpha-numeric promo code that you enter during checkout (for example, TGTXXXXX). They will not accept expired promo codes, internet promo codes for free items with no purchase requirements, promo codes for products not carried at Target, store-only coupons, and promo codes for items that don’t match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.). They also reserve the right to accept, refuse, or limit the use of any coupon.
- A manufacturer coupon is a coupon issued by a manufacturer that offers a free item or a specific amount off the purchase price of one or more of a manufacturer’s products. You will see “Manufacturer Coupon” printed on the coupon. A store coupon is issued by Target. It offers a free item or a specific amount off the purchase price of one or more products. You can identify a store coupon because “Target Coupon” is printed on the coupon.
Now that you have an in-depth understanding of Target’s Coupon Policy, it’s time to head over to Target and start saving! If you’re looking for a great way to start putting this new found knowledge into practice, check out our list of Target Deals that take advantage of these great savings! We hope your shopping trip runs a little smoother thanks to the Mojosavings Target Coupon Policy tips and summary. We do our best to make sure to update this post with any changes but always feel free to check Target for any new updates we might have missed. As always if you have any questions feel free to leave a comment and we will do our best to respond quickly with an answer.