With Amazon increasing their annual Prime membership fees, you may be wondering if you could share an Amazon Prime account? The good news is that you CAN share an Amazon Prime account, but there are certain limitations. In this article, we will break down two different ways to share your Amazon Prime Account and some benefits/drawbacks to each method. We all love shopping on Amazon and taking advantage of that FREE 2-Day Shipping is a HUGE perk! Did you know that there are lots of other perks to having Amazon Prime? You’ll also be able to stream movies, TV shows, and music, enjoy exclusive access to shopping deals, discover unlimited reading, and much more. Click here for a full list of Amazon Prime Benefits. After reading this article, you will be an expert on how to take full advantage of your Amazon Prime Membership while sharing the cost.
- With Amazon Prime Memberships increasing to $119/year, they wanted to allow people in the same family to share an Amazon Prime Account and enjoy all the benefits without paying extra. That’s why they created a feature known as Amazon Household, where family members that live with you can share prime benefits and only pay one $119 Prime subscription fee per year. To get started creating your Amazon Household, follow the link above and select Add an Adult. Have the other adult verify the existing Amazon account or create a new account and they will be automatically added. It’s easy to share Amazon Prime with Amazon Household.
- What are the benefits of an Amazon Household Account?
- You can share all the Amazon Prime benefits, not just the Free 2-day shipping. This includes Prime video, unlimited photo storage with Prime Photos, Free Kindle books, unlimited audio with Audible Channels, and more. In addition, you can’t see the other adult’s purchase history or order information, so you can still buy gifts for each other. You can also set up restrictions on children accounts for purchasing or even content viewed on Amazon. Click here to learn more.
- What are the limitations of an Amazon Household Account?
- You can only share this account with one other adult and up to four children. All of these individuals have to live with you AND you have to agree to share “wallets” (aka credit/debit cards). This means that everyone will have access to all of the credit/debit cards listed until that household account.
- An alternative method for sharing Amazon Prime, would be to share your account login information with the people that are splitting the bill. Many of us only care to use Amazon Prime for the Free 2-Day Shipping and don’t care for all the extra perks. This would be most common when sharing with parents, relatives, or even close friends. As you can imagine, this particular method comes with drawbacks but can be an effective way to split the cost of an Amazon Prime Membership. The key to this method is trust and we do not recommend using this method with people you don’t trust. Everyone you share your login information with could easily use someone else’s saved card to buy their stuff. That can make things pretty awkward… If you choose to use this method we suggest limiting the people to just a FEW super close family members or friends you trust and know well.
- What are the benefits of this method?
- There are no limits to how many addresses you can have in your Amazon address book and no limits to how many credit/debit cards you can store in your account. That means your mom could sign in using your login information and purchase HER items using HER credit card and ship them directly to HER address. You also will not be limited to people that live in your household meaning you could share an account with virtually anyone.
- What are the drawbacks of this method?
- Everyone will have access to everyone else’s saved payment methods and addresses. That means people could accidentally or intentionally use someone else’s payment method or ship a package to someone else’s address. You also have to be okay with seeing each other’s purchases and order history. As long as these people only care to use the Free 2-day shipping perk of Amazon Prime, this method works great and helps reduce the cost of the membership.
Now that you know how to share Amazon Prime with friends and family, you can start saving money and share all of these great benefits. Sign-up today and try out a Free 3-Month Trial of Amazon Prime to experience all of these awesome perks. Be sure to check out our hand-picked Amazon Deals for more great deals!
As always if you have any questions feel free to leave a comment and we will do our best to respond quickly with an answer.