In any type of kitchen, it is possible to find a large number of utensils with different uses. Perhaps the most important of these are knives of different sizes and types. That is why applying proper maintenance to these implements is an important factor.
Both the use and the passage of time can progressively deteriorate the edge of any knife. However, there are some very simple steps you can take. This way, all your knives will have the best edge. This is useful, especially for the typical knife for cutting meat. Team HM has a list of best knives for cutting meat. So, you can take note of the following tips.
Knife sharpening methods
Each of the following methods requires different objects to get a good job. However, each of these tips may offer different benefits to your knife.
- One of the best ways to get the right edge for your knives is to use the sharpening rod. Today it is quite common for a kitchen knife set to include this item. It is easy to detect this implement, as it resembles a short sword.
Therefore, this steel rod should be held by your non-dominant hand. So, with your other hand, you must hold the knife you wish to sharpen. During this procedure, you should keep any of your fingers away from the dangerous area.
Then, maintaining a 20-degree angle, you should make 8-10 passes from the edge of the knife to the steel bar. In turn, the entire blade of the knife should touch the steel bar. Besides, it is important to consider that this technique can only be perfected with practice.
- Another widely popular method is the use of a whetstone. Here you will notice that there is a thinner side and a rougher side. It is advisable to start using the rough side to sharpen your knife. In this case, simply obtain a one-sided edge or both sides by grinding the blade’s edge.
After that, you can continue to use the thin side for more precise results. In the same way, you can alternately use each side of the stone as you sharpen the knife blade. The important thing here is to obtain correct symmetry on each side of the knife blade
- In case you do not have the two elements above you can simply use a ceramic cup. In this case, the bottom of any ceramic cup you have is useful. Here it is also important to get a 20-degree angle between the cup and your knife.
To get a proper edge you must slide the blade of the knife precisely across the grain of the cup. Here it is advisable not to make too fast movements. You may find that you get good results when the movements are smooth and relatively slow. Once you make several passes on each side your knife will be ready
- Another tip that is important to keep in mind is that any technique is perfected with practice. Therefore, do not expect to get the most perfect results the first time you perform this procedure. Also, it is not so easy to achieve a perfect 20-degree angle on the first sharpenings.
An important aspect here is to maintain the same angle throughout the procedure. Along with this, you should notice a straight line through the entire blade when you have done a good job. Again, practice will tell you whether or not you have done a good job.
- There is a way to prevent the sharpness of your knives from deteriorating more quickly. This rapid deterioration usually happens with metal surfaces or those that are too hard. An example of this is cutting different foods or items on aluminum, granite, or stainless-steel surfaces.
On the other hand, it is best to use polyethylene, plastic, or wood as a cutting surface. That is why wooden cutting boards are very common pieces in the kitchen. Therefore, we recommend having one of these objects when you want to extend the edge of any knife.
- Another really important tip is how to wash the knives, especially the most important ones. Simply washing your knives by hand allows you to keep the edge properly for much longer. Therefore, you will notice that the detergent, water, and heat of the dishwashers, are harmful factors.
That is why the simplest and most effective way to keep the edge longer is to use your hands. In this way, you will avoid the need to sharpen your knives too many times.
- Finally, the advice you should consider as an important factor is the correct storage of your knives. As a result, the contact of your knife’s edge with other elements can be harmful over time. So, many professional chefs devote space exclusively to their knives.
On the other hand, there are some objects such as knife blocks or wooden blocks that do a good job. Even this allows you to have all your important knives in one place. It will also be easier to use the right knife for each situation or food.
1. Can kitchen knives be too sharp?
Usually, we can’t say that a kitchen knife is too sharp. It is important to consider that the sharper a kitchen knife is, the more efficient it is for cooking.
On the other hand, a knife might be too sharp on one side only. When you notice a knife that is too sharp on one side only, then the level of asymmetry is high. This results in improper use and results when cooking at any time. To cut safely, the knife-edge must be symmetrical.
2. How sharp should a kitchen knife be?
You should check that each side bevel of the knife has approximately 12 degrees. In this case, it is a knife that is properly sharpened. To do this, there are several techniques that we have mentioned throughout this article.
In the same way, you can count on several tips to prolong the edge of any knife. One efficient way to achieve this is to use wooden boards. When you use your knife to cut food on a wooden board, the edge is kept longer.
3. How long do knives stay sharp?
If a knife is used daily, then the edge can stay sharp for 3 months. In the same way, this edge can be kept for more or less time depending on the use and care.
To prevent a kitchen knife from sharpening too quickly, you can implement the tips mentioned above. One of them is to cut on appropriate surfaces, such as wood or plastic. In turn, washing kitchen knives by hand is another excellent and simple way to prolong a good edge.
Any of these techniques we have described will allow you to keep your kitchen knives properly sharpened. However, they are a set of techniques that can be perfected with time and practice. So, when you get the right experience, you will have excellent knives all the time. Making excellent recipes will be much easier.