DIY: Fill party balloons without using up all of your air supply and without using helium.
- Baking soda
- Plastic bottle
- Funnels (2)
What To Do:
1. Using your funnel pour vinegar into your bottle. You only need to fill about 1/3 of the bottle.
2. Using another (dry) funnel pour baking soda into your balloon. Fill the balloon approx. 1/2 way.
3. Cover the top of the bottle with you balloon. Make sure you don’t let the baking soda spill into the bottle prematurely.
4. When ready, lift your balloon and let the baking soda fall into the vinegar.
5. Watch as the mixture fizzes, bubbles & expands your balloon!
6. Discuss how the baking soda & vinegar produce a gas which fills the balloon.
The science behind it – Baking soda and the vinegar create an ACID-BASE reaction. When combined/mixed they create a gas – carbon dioxide. Gasses need room to spread, so the carbon dioxide fills the bottle and then moves into the balloon inflating it.
Thanks to Vippins for this great DIY idea! Be sure to check them out.